All Books All the Time

Thursday, July 23, 2020

Treasures

When I was a little girl, we spent a lot of time at my grandparent’s house. Upstairs from them, lived my great aunt Gert (my grandma’s sister).  During the summer months and weather permitting, we would all sit on the front porch. Although aunt Gert would be a part of the front porch festivities, she liked to surprise my brother and I with little treats. So, one of the first things we loved to do was run upstairs to see aunt Gert and what she had left for us in her desk drawers.


Jeremy and I waiting for the school bus (1981).



Treasures

we’d rush upstairs
above grandma and grandpa’s
each visit
my brother and I 
would excitedly check
aunt Gert’s desk drawers
mine on the right
Jeremy’s on the left
treasures always awaited
a comic book
a coloring book
a band for cat’s cradle 
a card game
a game of jacks 
sometimes a Little Golden Book
something special
to play or read
with great aunt Gert

Great aunt Gert. 




Margaret at Reflections on the Teche is hosting today’s Poetry Friday Roundup. Besides sharing the round up of poetry love, Margaret shares a lovely poem she wrote in response to a photograph, “Cajun Queen.”

11 comments:

  1. What a sweet tribute. Imagine, the joy you gave your Aunt by being excited by those treats. She must have been a wonderful lady. You are starting to have quite a memoir collection. Keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely memory! Your past enthusiasm is palpable here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet memory of your aunt! The specific items in the list set the time period and remind me of my own childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh our special grandparent and auntie memories. Uncles, too. I had an aunt named Dolly and she was so special, my mother's older sister. I still have some treasures from my grandmother. Your poems take me back to some very special memories. Aunt Gert must have been so pleased to see your excitement. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What spectacular fun, anticipating and finding gifts left by your great-aunt! She herself was the treasure .. also her name struck me as "Gert" was a random pet my aunt had for my mother. Suddenly I was a little girl again, myself. :)

    --Fran Haley, https://litbitsandpieces.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, this poem makes me so happy! Amy, I am in love with your family objects and memories and poems. You have me wanting to go through my family's things and write from them as well. Thank you for this inspiration, and too, for the idea to leave treats in drawers. Your aunt lives on! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your experience with Aunt Gert reminded me of going to my grandmother's where she would always have something fun for me to do. If you have a past, there is always something to write a poem about. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this--and that her gifts are giving you joy again in the their reliving as poems!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely remembrance. Aunts and uncles are important bonus parents and grown up friends in so many kids lives. You capture that here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those memories are endearing and I love how you capture them each week via a poem, Amy.

    ReplyDelete