All Books All the Time

Thursday, July 30, 2020

Storytellers

Several years ago, my mother-in-law gave me her mother’s antique chicken and rooster set. If my memory serves me correctly, she said they came from Germany. I fell in love with them immediately and put them on a kitchen shelf (as my kitchen has always been decorated with reds). For 25 years these “love birds” have sat in my home and who knows how many years they’ve been listening in on family stories. I like to think they secretly communicate with each other and tell each other all sorts of wonderful family stories.

Grandma Heisler’s red chicken & rooster. 
  
Storytellers

You sit
silently
on my shelf
Yet, you know 
a thousand stories 
you could tell
I wish 
you could talk
to me
Instead,
you silently communicate 
with each other 
Red Rooster
Red Chicken 
Family friends 




Today’s Poetry Friday roundup is being brought to us by Catherine at Reading to the Core. Be sure to check her out and take in all the poetry love!  Happy reading!

7 comments:

  1. Oh, what fun little friends of a feather. I'll bet they wish they could tell YOU stories too. It looks like they are keeping things between the beaks, though. Maybe at night, or when you aren't listening they aren't silent.....hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm enchanted by these love birds! If these birds could talk... lots of material there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to think of these 'love birds' eavesdropping on your life. Thanks for sharing their 'story'. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! Those two eavesdroppers. It's fun to imagine them discussing family business. They might know more than you do. What a fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy, your post raises the eternal question -do objects have memories. This was something American poet, Patricia McKissack explored at one point. you alert each of us to the various artifacts and mementoes sitting around our houses. It causes us to ponder the same question you posed to the antique chickens. Thank you for reminding me of the need to revisit the stories bound up in these objects we hold and treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the succinct wonder of this poem, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your chicken and rooster are charming, and I love that your poem is full of wonder about their long lives in your family's kitchens. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete