All Books All the Time

Thursday, April 2, 2020

Bananas for Banana Bread




It’s National Poetry Month and it’s Poetry Friday! I’m celebrating by writing a food poem and posting it here on my new blog. I’m not a “professional” poet but I am having fun and doing so much more writing.

The other day, as I pulled out my old, worn copy of the little children’s cookbook from Gold Medal Flour, called Alph~Bakery, to make banana bread, a poem of my own came to life in my head. As my bread baked in the oven, I began to write a poem on how to banana bread.

Here’s the little treasure of a cookbook that inspired my poem.

Photo by Amy 



Bananas for Banana Bread

Brown, squishy bananas
Hmmm, I scratch my head
It’s time for banana bread!
Heat oven to 350 degrees
With my recipe
This will be a breeze
Mash bananas
Mix in sugar, oil,
vanilla, and some eggs.
Stir in flour, soda,
Salt, and baking powder.
Add chocolate chips!
Grease the pan.
Pour in batter.
Place in oven
Baking takes at least an hour.
We start to drool!
Smells so delicious.
Let it cool.
Some for you.
Some for me.
Enjoy with milk.
Or have with tea.
Banana bread is such a treat
That my family loves to eat!



Bananas for Banana Bread!

This is the recipe that I follow for making the banana bread that my family goes bananas over. I always tweak it by adding chocolate chips and extra vanilla. 

Photo by Amy


A fun book that you may wish to read, while eating your banana bread, is Fruit Bowl by Mark Hoffmann, published by Knopf, 2018.  Tomato wants to join the fruit bowl, along with bananas, an apple, and others. Should he be allowed?  Is he a fruit?  This is a humorous story, as the fruit have discussions with tomato, via speech bubbles. This would be a fun read aloud, as well as, a fun reader’s theater. 

Photo from Amazon. 


Heidi at My Juicy Little Universe is hosting today’s Poetry Friday gathering. Click on over to read about all the wonderful poetry sharing that is happening today. 




9 comments:

  1. Yum, banana bread! I have that cookbook too -- but haven't pulled it out in a long time. Thanks for reminding me about it. Your poem is delicious, and thanks for the heads up about Fruit Bowl, which I didn't know about. Happy PF and Happy Poetry Month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a delicious post! Banana bread is the best! Favorite lines:
    Some for you.
    Some for me.
    Enjoy with milk.
    Or have with tea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun (and yummy) topic for a poem. I'm not a "professional" poet either but love dabbling in it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the springy, happy rhythm of your poem, only now wishing I had some bananas! And my favorite lines: "We start to drool!
    Smells so delicious.
    Let it cool." Thanks for sharing the two books, too! Happy baking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband has made so much banana bread so far during our self-isolation! Thanks for your poem!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the inviting lines that open your poem. You gave me the incentive to bake. Banana bread seems to be the rage during the quarantine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delicious poem--and of course delicious banana bread. I always put chocolate chips in mine, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice to meet you, Amy! And now I may forever associate you with banana bread, which is not a bad thing at all in my book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Amy--I HAVE THIS ALPHABAKERY BOOK TOO! I collect alphabet books, and I've had this since I lived in New York 1986-1991. Never made any of the recipes though. Nice to meet you and sorry it's taken a while for me to visit all of last Friday's blogs...turns out online PreK is time-consuming!

    ReplyDelete