All Books All the Time

Thursday, April 23, 2020

Grandma’s Potato Pancakes



Welcome to Poetry Friday. Today’s host is Christie at Wondering and Wandering.  Make sure to visit her site for lots more poetry inspiration.

Recently, I have been pondering potatoes and their versatility in a variety of recipes. Different members of my family and friends, all seem to have a go~to favorite recipe for preparing a potato dish. I originally began to create a list poem about all the wonderful ways that one can eat potatoes. But then I became interested in the history behind my grandmother’s recipe for making potato pancakes. I played around with a poem idea for potato pancakes but it wasn’t working out. Then I  decided to try my hand at writing a poem from grandma’s point of view (thanks to inspiration from Amy LV’s daily poetry chats ~  Poems Can BeWritten in the Voice of Another). I also ended up writing part of the poem using the structure of a recipe (Which Amy LV talked about today~ I was excited that I had used a structure that she had mentioned). Again, I’m not a pro but here’s my poem for now.

Grandma with my dad and aunt


My Grandma


Dinner

I work for a Jewish family.
I prepare meals for them
Potato latkes.
At I home I prepare meals for my family.
Potato pancakes
from my Irish and German heritage
Peel and grate potatoes and onion
Add an egg
and some flour
pinch of salt
sprinkle of pepper
Fry them up
for dinner
Potato pancakes
I learned from my mother
Different heritages
Different names
United
Potato latkes
Potato pancakes

Since I’ve had potatoes on my mind, I couldn’t help but think about these splendid picture books that feature the very versatile spud.  Happy reading. And happy eating!









25 comments:

  1. Yum. Your poem is delicious and makes me want to go and cook up what I always called potato cakes, but are known by so many different names.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is wonderful that you are sharing your heritage and family recipes with us to make are days better. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mark. I’m finding so much joy in visiting the past.

      Delete
  3. Yum! And, welcome to the world of writing poetry--you make it sound like you are just starting? But, maybe it's just that you are starting to share out loud in public. Writing poems in another voice is one of my favorite ways to write. I'm so tired of writing from MY point of view. I'm not nearly as interested in me as others. lol. This recipe poem is a delight... the personality of the pancake maker comes through...a bit reflective. That's nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda. Yes, you are correct. I’ve been sharing poetry for a short time but I’ve been playing with poetry in my journals for a while. Thank you for your kind words.

      Delete
  4. My mouth is watering! I'm a potato person (my Irish heritage?). I love that you included I'm Bored - one of my favorite PBs. :

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love potatoes too! And these potatoish picture books are so delicious! Thank you Bridget.

      Delete
  5. Delicious poem, Amy, and I love the old photos of your grandmother! Now I'm craving potato pancakes, of course. Recipe poems are the best :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jama. I’m really enjoying the recipe poem format and having fun gathering old photos from family members.

      Delete
  6. I enjoyed reading your poem, Amy, and the background photos, history, the PBs, and your writing process as well. It's nice to see you putting Amy LV's "lessons" to good use. She's such a great teacher, isn't she?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Amy is a gem! I’ve been so lost in memories as I’ve been writing my recipe related poetry. It’s steeped in family history. Thank you.

      Delete
  7. Yummy! You've served up a delicious poem. I love how it brings two traditions together. We are more alike than we realize aren't we?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we are. Thank you so much, you are so kind.

      Delete
  8. Love the fusing of cultures in your poem, and the viewpoint. (And I make a mean potato latke. My mom used to make them with instant potatoes--I'll never know why. But my grandmother's were like the ones in your poem.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Buffy. I’ve been wanting to make them but am out of eggs and am waiting on a grocery delivery.

      Delete
  9. Yum, latkes! I really enjoyed reading the backstory to your poem. I also like the reflective tone and the found connection. Finally, you've amassed quite a collection of potato-related books. Who knew!? I love "I'm Bored", but the others are new to me and look quite delightful. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Molly for your thoughtful reflections. I really appreciate it. And, yes a plateful of potato picture book picks!

      Delete
  10. Preserving heritage and recipes in poetry is such a wonderful treasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh Anne, yes I’m considered our family historian! I love this poetry preservation of family heritage. Thank you.

      Delete
  11. Love the way you remembered your memory in such a poetic way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carol. I’m having a lot of fun.

      Delete
  12. Love your poem, Amy, and I especially loved seeing the old photographs to go with it. Learning about how others get their inspiration inspires me! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Enjoyed your potato post very much. We have recently tried a new potato recipe called Champ... Irish in background, I think. Delicious! We are also trying to recreate my aunt's scalloped potato recipe... sliced potatoes and cream marinate overnight. So far we just talk about it... hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The latkes sounds delicious! I love how you told your poem through your grandmother's voice. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete