All Books All the Time

Friday, May 15, 2020

The Big Yellow Bowl




This is my Poetry Break sign!


Read about my Poetry Breaks! at my other blog, Mrs. Merrill’s Book break.  I’m missing sharing poetry with children on a daily basis. 


Today I’m sharing another poem about a family treasure, my grandma’s big yellow Pyrex bowl. 

My mom’s mom, Hilda. 


Hilda’s big yellow Pyrex bowl





Holding Memories

I am well used
I hold so much -
potato salad
bread dough
kolachkis
love . . .

I now sit
in  granddaughter’s kitchen
I hold so much love
grandma’s potato salad
grandma’s bread dough
grandma’s kolachkis 
Holding memories
I am a well loved  
beautiful, yellow bowl


Today’s Poetry Friday hostess is Carol at Beyond Literacy. Stop over to her blog to sample everyone’s poetry sharing. 





12 comments:

  1. Amy, your family story poems are always delightful. This poem shared a word umfamiliar to me, kolachkis. My grandmother who was born in Italy made similar cookies with mincemeat and these were one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely tribute to the bowl and the link it gives you through generations. Like Carol I didn't know the word kolachkis, so googled, and am now hungry :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom has that exact same bowl! I remember it well from my childhood - her potato salad filled to its rim to feed all 12 of us! (I'm the youngest of 10 and my mom is still alive...using that bowl.) Thanks for sharing so much of your family love. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the voice, Amy. I don't have that yellow bowl from my grandmother, but I have the red one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy: I wrote a bowl poem also! Yes, we treasure those round working bowls, they held so much of our lives! Thanks for this. I love the poem, the photos and the sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Linda B. You have a distinct fun and loving voice. It really fits a yellow bowl...happy, well loved. Nice poem.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun way to share different perspectives.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amy, the truism- ideas exist in things is exemplified in your poem. Even the word 'pyrex' fired up my memory. I have often asked young writers-Do objects have memories? Your poem reminds me of the Patricia McKissack poem, Remembering. You employed voice to great effect here also. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adore, and use often, the same Pyrex bowl, Amy. Mine belonged to my beloved mother in law. Today I make my weekly batch of granola in it, and she made heavenly potato salad in it. Cheers! -- Christie @ https://wonderingandwondering.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a treasure! I envy you your yellow bowl. Lovely poem, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the mix of concrete and abstract things your yellow bowl holds, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a set of those Pyrex bowls that are just like the ones Mom had. They bring me the joy of her memory every time I use them!

    ReplyDelete