All Books All the Time

Friday, May 8, 2020

Vintage Recipe Box





Thank you so much to all of you in the Poetry Friday community that have been reading and commenting on my poems and posts. It means the world to me.  Virtual hugs!


I love to shop antique stores, flea markets, thrift stores, and garage sales. Since I haven’t been able to do this recently, I began browsing eBay. I came across this treasure- a vintage recipe box, filled with handwritten and collected recipes. I knew I had to give it a home!  As I browsed through the recipe box’s contents, I thought a lot about its original owner and why someone would want to sell it. I wrote about it in my journal and this week’s poem came into being.

Vintage recipe box.


Filled with handwritten and collected recipes. 

Vintage Recipe Box

Hand painted yellow, wooden box
embellished with strawberries
I wonder who gave you up?
You hold collected and handwritten recipes
Worn with time and use
You are a treasure
a bridge to bygone days
a window into the lives
of ancestors
I wonder who gave you up?
embellished with strawberries
Hand painted yellow, wooden box.




Today’s Poetry Friday host is Michelle at Today’s Little Ditty. Click on over to visit her and all who are posting and sharing poetry love today. 






7 comments:

  1. How wonderful, Amy, that you've given this beautiful box and its delicious contents a new place to call home. Too bad the seller didn't provide any information about its history... more fun for you to figure it out or imagine, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool find on eBay! The recipe box and its contents are indeed a treasure. Your poem says it all -- who would give it up? It's like giving away family history. I hope you make some of the recipes and share about them here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You might not know who's that was, or where it originated from but you keeping that little yellow box alive and revived life back into it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank goodness someone chose to sell it instead of throwing it away! Thank goodness you have made even more beauty from it, imagining all the hands and meals behind its contents...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh, a lovely poem and wondering, Amy! I like how you end your poem as you have started. Have you tried any recipes yet? That sounds interesting. I am glad they did not throw this treasure out and that someone like you found it. I wrote a poem about my Italian heritage/side based on a wonderful quilted art piece that was made from all of these family groupings' photos that the artist collected from antique and thrift stores etc. She transferred them to fabric and created a long, almost timeline look of "the family or ancestors I never met." It was for an Ekphrastic writing collaboration my Pen Woman Branch did with the Schweinfurth Art Museum in Auburn. It really brought a lot of pent up thoughts to the page for me. Janet Clare F. PS Hope you are doing well, friend. PS Please let us know of any favorite recipes you find!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that repetition and "bridge to bygone days..." Lovely, Amy!

    ReplyDelete