All Books All the Time

Thursday, June 4, 2020

John’s Fix-It Shop



“Poetry Break!”

My grandpa’s sign (made by my mom). 
John’s Fix-It Shop

Come on in!
Stay a while. 
We’ll put the coffee on. 
kitchen table,
chockablock with tools and parts,
even a coffee pot or two  
Grandpa works at the table  
Customers come and go. 
John’s Fix-It Shop
occupies grandma’s kitchen 
Customers stay a while -
they sit and chat. 
Put the coffee on. 
Stay a while. 
John’s Fix-It Shop 
is always open. 

When I was growing up, my grandpa had a small business that, after a while, found its way into my grandparents kitchen. When customers stopped in, they were invited to have a cup of coffee (perked in a Faberware percolator coffee pot) and some of whatever treat grandma had made. Grandpa repaired Faberware products. His most popular repairs were done on percolator coffee pots. When I moved into my first apartment, I was given a Faberware 4 cup coffee pot and a Faberware electric fry pan. These were two of my favorite small appliances  To this day, I prefer the taste of coffee from a percolator coffee pot. I hope you enjoyed your visit to John’s Fix-It Shop!  Stop in again, won’t you?




Here’s grandma’s recipe for kolacki in an old church cookbook.
You’d have been lucky to sample these if you stopped by!

Grandma and grandpa’s wedding photo.
November 29, 1946

Margaret at Reflections On the Teche is today’s Poetry Friday host.  Besides rounding up all of the poetry offerings, she is sharing a goodbye poem to her students.

11 comments:

  1. Lovely memories. I had to laugh when I saw that his fix-it shop was at the kitchen table. A cuppa while you wait is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this snippet of the past. Percolator coffee is the best. Why did they ever modernize it? I love the recipe and how the word Oleo was such a common term. When I got my license, I liked to grocery shop for my mom. She had Oleo on the list. This was pre-cell phones, so I couldn't call to find out what it was. For some reason, I haven't forgotten to this day that it is margarine. Thanks for taking me back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post made me happy. Love hearing these family memories. My mom and aunts had Faberware appliances too. I love the warm, cozy feelings conveyed in your poem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember my parents having a pot like that! ... way before I ever wanted to drink the stuff ;) What a wonderful memory your poem has captured, Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The shop sounds like a hub for community conversations. I do remember oleo as margarine now that Margaret mentioned it. I am baking this weekend and of course, the recipe is filled with decadent ingredients like heavy cream. I have not made anything with cream in so long that it will be a real treat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love the word chokablock! And, the coffee pot take me back to my own Grandparents kitchen. Add the fragrance of peanut butter toast and we're there. Lovely memories stirred by your post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My parents pulled out their percolator coffee pot for their Bridge Club parties every Saturday night. (I always thought it was so cool that they played a card game that was MY nickname and they served m&m's!)I think I would have loved a visit to "John's Fix It Shop" aka your grandparent's kitchen. Their wedding picture is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love reading about your memory, and the percolator coffee which was terrific. Then imagining your grandpa in the kitchen serving customers with more than a "fix".

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a delightful post! I loved reading your poem about your grandfather's welcoming shop and the word "chockablock" is fabulous here. Thanks for sharing your memories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Amy--this is so cheerful and evocative. Chockablock with a genial mood. Love the photos, too!

    ReplyDelete